The Letter I




Our Monday began with the introduction of a new letter of the week. This week, we will study the letter "I," specifically the short "I" sound. We read "My I Book" and brainstormed "short i" words before starting language arts rotations. Students colored and glued a tactile page, "Ice Cream Cones on Is on an Igloo." My groups read "I See the Apple" and practiced "I" handwriting, while the other groups had secret centers. We also wrote on "I" sentences on the back of our papers for the first time. This will be a new focus during phonics work. After snack and recess, we discussed "2 Fewer" in math.

After lunch, we practiced our new poem, "Little Jack Horner," rhymed, and did some oral blending. We read a book called "From Seed to Pumpkin" and learned about the life cycle of a pumpkin. We reinforced this with a sequencing page that showed six steps from seed to jack-o-lantern. Before P.E. we started a new part of our day: Star of the Week. Each week will feature a student that gets to share items each day and take questions and comments from the class. I, Mr. Ricker, am the first Star of the Week. I shared my poster and told the class about my favorite things.  We went out to the big yard for P.E. and practiced bouncing and dribbling a ball. When we came back, we finished up our Treasures them of "Friends" and had some free time to end the day. Then we packed up, got our homework folders and were on our way!

Please note that we have a short Theater performance on Thursday at 8:15 in the auditorium. Also, book order forms go home today. If you're interested, turn in forms or order online by Friday.

Comments